Skip to main content

Project I Website

https://lachap8.wixsite.com/critproj1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prototypes for Project I

Below are initial mock-ups/examples of Phase 2 of the project, which consists of taking the screenshot of four particular websites onto a grid. I have examples from 5 days: 9/26, 9/27, 9/28, 10/2 and 10/3. There are a few caveats that I will refine before proceeding in my continued documentation.  The first is to have a more standardized size of screenshot. Next, I will be more precise in placing the four images into the grid in exactly equal proportions. Third, I will seek a continuity across time of day that I make my documentations. Another altered step is to close or minimize all possible advertisements. The "Political Grid" quadrant map I used as a template for visualizing placing the screenshots 4 different sites on the same plane. However, I do not use this same vertical axis. Instead, I Place "corporate" on the upper half, represented by CNN & Fox News, and "Independent" on the lower half of the vertical axis. Again, CNN is not defined

On Media-Specific Critique

When art loses its materiality (painting, sculpture, photography) and becomes electronic data (digital media), how are we to assess it? Each of the readings provided a lot of questions but no certain answers in thinking through this phenomenon. N. Katherine Hayles approaches the question of media specificity through literary theory--and makes a case for  "positioning text against work" with the influence of Roland Barthes. When text is no longer just words on a printed page, but takes on a new effect through electronic "hypertext," Hayles makes a point that we must make a "careful consideration of what difference the medium makes." Here, navigation becomes a "signifying strategy," and the subject becomes transformed as not just a passive reader but as a participant in how the text unfolds. She declares: "Whether in print or on screen, the specificity of the medium comes into play as its characteristic are flaunted, suppressed, subverted, rei

Project 2 Reflection

Reflecting on the process of making Project 2, I discovered I had taken a difficult journey, perhaps needlessly, but learned an enormous amount while doing so. For Project 1, I was fixated on news media as my subject of artistic material and created a web-based project, which drove me toward creating something new away from computer screens and back to a more analog artistic process--specifically the idea of working with drawing and painting on paper. And the subject that I found myself interested in for Project 2 was a specific person rather than a system, network, or philosophy. I thought this would be therapeutic in a way, to allow me to study one human subject under a microscope and dig deep at a slower pace, instead of feeling like I had to keep up with something moving at a much faster speed or situate myself within a complex body of academic and theoretical research. I conceptualized the project around a character, and started by writing a character sketch--trying to pin down d